Saturday, October 4, 2008

Autumn inside our home

Of late I have been trying to come up with some creative ideas to make our home a little more cozy without spending lots of money, here's what I came up with:

This is in our living room next to our couch. I bought the small pumpkin, I found the leaves (the ones in the jar) and 2 fat quarters in my crafty supplies, I found the 2 candles in a closet packed away, the mason jar also in a closet packed away (actually 6 of them) and decided to pull off that cookbook stack from my bookshelves for some elevation.
Total cost: $ 0.79 for the pumpkin (which in this pic looks like a tomato....)
This is the end table at the opposite end of our living room. Here I used 2 more fat quarters, another of the mason jars with more of the leaves, a container I had purchased about 6 months ago from the Goodwill (for $ 1.99) which I have painted, the wood candle holder was a gift a few years ago from my sister-in-law at Christmas, another purchased pumpkin and the candle in the front is one I've had from Home Interiors for a number of years (it normally has a ceramic lid on top with a patriotic theme, I just removed it for a more Fall look).
Total cost: $0.79 for the pumpkin

This is our mantle in the living room. I made the wreath (with Isaac's help) from items I found in my crafty supplies in the closet: raffia wreath, 2 silk flower stems and some old leftover ribbon. I didn't glue anything, I just left the plastic on over the raffia, used a pencil to pop holes into the wreath and then shoved the flower heads into the holes. I made the bow and secured it with wire. Below that are a few of my Willow Tree figurines (all have been gifts). In the blue frames (which I got a while ago at the Goodwill for $ 2.99 each) are printed Bible verses you can make on your own printer. In the center is a woodblock which holds 3 candles (again from the Goodwill a few months ago for $1.99...I know how much everything is because I'm too lazy to remove stickers sometimes and items still have price tags...sigh....anyway) I found some more leftover ribbon and wove it around the Willow Tree figurines and the candles, although it's a little hard to see in the photo.
Total cost: $0
since I found everything in my house (either the garage or a closet)

This is the centerpiece on our dining room table.

I found all the candles in my closets (I know, I have lots of candles in my closets, wierd huh?) The floral one was a gift, the large white one is from our wedding (I think). I purchased the 3 pumpkins. The green vase was my parents a long time ago but we're using it as a candle holder. The table runner is actually 2 window valances I got at the Salvation Army about 2 years ago and have never used for anything.
Total cost: $ 2.40 for the pumpkins
This is our front porch.
I got the wood basket from a store in town on clearance and purchased all the flowers too. Emma brought the pumpkin home from school after her field trip to the pumpkin patch.
Total cost: $19 for wood basket and flowers
Total cost for EVERYTHING:
$23.98 not too bad!




No comments:

Post a Comment