Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Happy Birthday Mom!

My mom is celebrating her birthday today and I wish we could be there to celebrate with her. In the last few years we have watched her patiently endure many trials and hardships with her health. Only 3 years ago I stood with my husband in her hospital room watching over her body which had lost all resemblance to the woman I had known all my life. She had been on life support for several weeks and was in the operating room where she suffered terrible internal bleeding which the surgeons were unable to cease. Her doctors had requested the family to come and "say our good-byes". Dave and Robb were with me in the room. I remember that I actually told them, "If I didn't know whose room we are in, I would never know that this is our mom."
How great is our God, who spared her life from that tragedy and brought her home to us a couple of months later. How great is His mercy in allowing her these last 3 years which have brought her 4 more grandchildren to love and snuggle! 8-) We're thankful also for the developments in medical technology which allow her to "speak" even though she had to have her vocal chords removed during this trial. I am thankful for my dad who has stood so strongly alongside of her throughout this whole battle and for the living example he has been to my children of what it means to "have and to hold....in sickness and in health".
Mom, I know you struggle with this battle. I know you wish you could have your voice back. I know you wish you could sing again. I wish it too. In the words of your oldest beloved granddaughter, "Mommy, I love grandma. I know Jesus does too. One day He will make her all better and then Grandma can sing to Him again. Someday when I'm in Heaven I'll hear Grandma's voice again too."
We're so glad you're here with us.
Happy Birthday!

For All the Saints (listen here)
1. For all the saints, who from their labors rest,
Who Thee by faith before the world confessed,
Thy Name, O Jesus,be forever blessed.
Alleluia, Allelu...

2. Thou wast their rock, their fortress and their might;
Thou, Lord, their captain in the well fought fight;
Thou, in the darkness drear, their one true Light.
Alleluia, Allelu...

3. O may Thy soldiers, faithful, true and bold,
Fight as the saints who nobly fought of old,
And win with them the victor's crown of gold.
Alleluia, Allelu...

4. The golden evening brightens in the west;
Soon, soon to faithful warriors comes their rest;
Sweet is the calm of paradise the blessed.
Alleluia, Allelu...

5. But lo! There breaks a yet more glorious day;
The saints triumphant rise in bright array;
The King of glory passes on his way,
Alleluia, Allelu...

6. From earth's wide bounds, from ocean's farthest coast,
Through gates of pearl streams in the countless host,
Singing to Father, Son, and Holy Ghost,
Alleluia, Alleluia!

2 comments:

  1. God is gracious and good- Amen! We love you, Grandma Sue! I can't wait for my children to hear you sing again. But, for right now, my girls love your "special voice," too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful post. I am welling up right now.

    ReplyDelete