Thursday, April 9, 2009

My first attempt at couponing!

I went this week on my first planned frugality attack of Target and Walgreens. Here's the rundown on how I did:

Target -
They had an advertised sale if you buy a Fusion Power razor and a Gillette Men's Shave Gel you would receive a $5 Target giftcard. I had coupons for both the razor and the shave gel from Sunday's papers. I did this promotion three times and here is the end result:

Total spent Out Of Pocket (with tax): $21.00
Money saved by the sale plus the coupons: $19.40
Free money earned by gaining Target giftcards: $15.00

So I spent $21 but SAVED $34.40 total! I then used some of the money from the giftcards to pay for Lauren and Abby's easter basket stuff. End cost on that purchase? FREE!

Walgreens -
Advertised sales on Physician's Formula Cosmetics and Garnier Hair Products
I spent $13 on PF Blush/Bronzer and got a FREE lip gloss! I will receive $11 back on a Walgreens gift card for making this purchase at the end of the month.
I spent $20 on Garnier products (hair color/dye, shampoo, conditioner, leave-in conditioner, shine enhancer and a hairspray!). I will receive $11 back on a Walgreens gift card for this purchase at the end of the month also.

SO, I spent $33 and will gain $22 back at the end of the month to roll over for next month's purchases.

I also purchased a Colgate toothpaste for $3.49 and earned a coupon off my next purchase for the same amount, which basically makes the toothpaste free. I then saved $6 with a store coupon on Lipton Tea, $3 on Kraft Mac-N-Cheese, $3.75 on 3 individual boxes of Puffs with lotion, $6 on Crayola crayons (64 count) and then proceeded to purchase the following:
8 cups for $1 (kid size)
4 hot-wheels type cars for Isaac's Easter basket for $2
6 bottles of bubbles for the baskets $2
and a variety of other small items I needed that trip.

Total Saved: $44.24 not counting the easter basket sale stuff.

I think I'm going to like this couponing business.....

4 comments:

  1. You can also try going onto your favorite manufacturers' websites to print off coupons there. That's one of the ways I save money in addition to coupon clipping. Also, I don't know about your local chamber of commerce, but ours has a website and all the businesses have coupons posted, and they are really good deals! For example, I was able to get $12 off an oil change and buy 1 get 1 free meal at Applebee's. Just a thought...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Caryn. Is the Walgreens month-end gift card just in your area?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Krys,

    Nope it's nation-wide. You need to pick up their monthly saver's guide at the store (next to the weekly sales flyer), keep track of which of the monthly promotions you participated in and then by the end of the month go on-line and submit your receipt information for the various promotions. This is the first month we're doing it and I've been warned that the initial month may take 4-6 weeks to get your refund processed. We'll see. But then you can just keep rolling over your monthly refunds onto the same giftcard and build up your savings. 8-)

    There are supposed to be even better deals at CVS each month, we just don't have any out here. You might want to google: cvs blogs and take a look at how many people use CVS to save too.

    8-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amy,

    Thanks for the tips! I have already started printing some coupons online as well but I've learned that some stores out here won't accept them...primarily the only one I know of who actually DOES Double Coupon Days. sigh. But they still help out at the other places.

    ReplyDelete