Thursday, April 23, 2009

Spring is in the air......

Today we went to Menards and purchased the supplies we need to start our garden. I'm hoping that it will go well this year, this is our first time gardening...so we'll see what happens. So far we've only purchased fruits and veggies, but I would like to eventually carve out some nice flower beds in the back as well.

Here's what we're planting:
1. Tomatoes - lots, we love tomatoes! I also selected some grape tomato plants for the kiddos to enjoy.
2. Cucumbers
3. Broccoli
4. Snow peas
5. Green beans
6. Raspberries
7. Strawberries
8. Pumpkins: full-size and the littler varieties as well. There are no pumpkin farms around here, which I find very odd considering I live in the midst of FARMLAND USA....but apparently you can only grow corn in Iowa. Anyhoo, we want to try growing our own pumpkins for the decorating aspect in the fall, it should be much more rewarding than just plopping down $5 a piece at the grocery store (and MUCH CHEAPER!).

I guess we did buy some flowers too. We bought the kids a mixed variety sunflower pack and we plan to give them a corner of the yard to tend to. Maybe we'll make a sunflower house for them to play in.....

Plans are to start digging out the plot tomorrow and hopefully transplant all the veggies next week. I'll keep you all posted!

1 comment:

  1. Good luck on your garden!

    If you are able to, may I suggest putting in some fruit trees this year? It takes a few years to see results, but they are such a blessing when they come in. The same can be said of grapes.

    ReplyDelete